http://www.panhard.nl
 Un joli diaporama vous attend ici ! Connectez-vous !
(c) logo 
 FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   CarteCarte des membres   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
  ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 
M8S

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Forum Panhard - Page d accueil -> Mécanique moteur
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
duralinox
rang: junior

MessagePosté le: Dim Déc 09, 2007 18:57    Sujet du message: M8S Répondre en citant

Hello all!

Sorry this is in english, but I know I cannot translate this to proper French.

Two years ago I bought a M8S engine in France from a 24BT, wich I plan to put in my Dyna Z1.

I think that 60 hp is making a great difference in stead of the 42 hp it has now, and since it only weighs 700 kg???

When I returned to Denmark I found that one of the valves had broken and had damaged the piston as well.
The other cylinder was rusted solid, and was damaged when I took it apart.

This summer I whent to Paris andat Brunel I bought new pistons and rings, new chemises, new oversize valves, and a Dural timing gear.
And of course a set of gaskets for the engine.

I have now begun to clean all the parts, and have come across a lot of numbers, moulded, stamped painted and written with an electric pen.

This has allways pussled me everytime I put an engine togheter.

What does these numbers mean, and why do they take the time during produktion to add these numbers?

Maybe it is silly, but I would be very glad if anyone knows what they mean?

They are as follows:

Engine bloc:

Type 1744 (M8S)
Nr 36100 (1965)?
Strange that the engine nr is 36100 (even nr.) since my cars chass nr is 20.900, all even numbers!

At the engine block in front of where the starter is attached is the nr PL7 stamped.

On top of the engine is a big circle with a big E in it.
Nearby is a square with a DG in it.
then a 3 stamped in, and beneath each other:

L10
L24
PL10
PL22

Moulded in on the left side in front of the push-rods i a square with a "838" in it and a big circle with a 63 in it.

Moulded in on the right side behind the cylinder is what looks like a makers mark, an M with a C on top of it, nad a nr 371336.

The crankshaft:

At the bottom of each connecting rod is a painted +4.

At the front and rear counterweight is written with an electric pen the number G9817.

At the counterweight in the middle is a painted PL42 and a green spot of paint.

At the side of the connecting-rod near the bog hole in it, is painted a big 8 and a +2
PL42

And the other one: a big 8 +14
PL42.

I know that there is difference between an M8 and a M5 block, but is there any difference between cylinders M5 and M8S?

I will have to replace both cylinders with the M5 ones if there is no difference in them.
Anyone?

I allso managed to get a rear bearing plate in cast iron in stead of the aluminium one wich sat on the engine, so I hope now that I will be able to make a durable engine.
Is there anything that I have missed to do that?

I would be greatfull to any answers I can get!

Greetings Duralinox, Jan..............

Mike
rang: PL17 ***

MessagePosté le: Dim Déc 09, 2007 22:39    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi duralinox
I wonder why you ask all these questions about numbers stamped or carved or painted in each and every part of your engine. When parts are manufactured and stocked, it's necessary not to mistake one part for another. What difference does that make to you anyway?
To make a M8S engine you need
1) A good block, 1744 is all right
2) A cast iron rear bearing plate, to deal with the 60HPs
3) A camshaft with S on it.
4) Good pistons (not slitted if possible) and new rings.
5) A dural timing gear instead of a celoron one.
As far as I know there's no difference between M5 and M6/M8/M10 cylinders.
On the contrary, the chemises are a lot different. You must use the ones with a slit on the back collar and adjust the compression rates to 8:1 .
I think I have it all. If you have other questions, feel free to ask.
Of course you also need the carburettor and exhaust pipes that go along with the M8S/M10S engines and necessary to deal with 60HPs.
Good luck! Mike
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail
duralinox

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 11, 2007 17:56    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Mike!

Thank you for your answer!

I just asked because I used to wonder about this every time I took a Panhard engine apart, that´s all!

I was hoping someone vere able to tell me why.

I have been a Citroen mechanic in the past, and they did not have a lot of numbers and marks on them as Panhard do.

But the meaning might be lost today?

I just want to know as much as possible of my beloved mark as I can.

I have all the things you mention, including the right distributer.
Only thing I miss is the right carburator.

I was told in France that there is a slight difference between a PL17 tigre carburator (38 NDIX) and the one for the 24 B-CT, but I don't know what.

Greetings Duralinox (Jan).................
Mike

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 11, 2007 21:11    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Duralinox
As there are few of us who speak English, this tends to be a dialogue!
Never mind. The answer to your question may lie in the fact that Panhard made parts slightly different, but that looked (and still do) the same. So it's important to be sure that the cylinder you're holding is the right one..(you seem to ask yourself the question abour M5 VS M8S cylinders: are they REALLY the same??). This is as good an explanation as any, isn't it?
To get back to those cylinders, I can tell you that my 24BT's engine is equipped with M5's cylinders and it works fine.
About the carburators 38NDIX, there's hardly any diffrence between the 24's and the PL17's. After checking my documents, the only difference is in the fuel jet gauge: 145 on PL17 versus 150 on the 24BT.
More practically, the fuel pipe reaches the carbu on the side on the 24's while it arrives at the rear by a banjo joint on the PL17's. When you buy it, this is what you see, and I advise you to prefer the banjo (especially if you like music!) because the other system has a tendency to part from the lid of the carbu, generally setting the car on fire (this is no joke).
If you want docs or anything else, you can mail me on mperel82@voila.fr
A last thing, if you don't mind: your sentence "Panhard se la vie" would be better if you wrote:"panhard, c'est la vie" (Panhard IS life)
Best regards Mike
"
Mike

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 11, 2007 21:15    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Pour ceux qui ne pratiquent pas la langue de Shakespeare, Duralinox se demande pourquoi il y a tant de choses peintes, gravées ou écrites au crayon électriques sur les pièces Panhard. Apparemment, ce n'est pas le cas sur les pièces Peugeot, Renault Citroën, etc..
Si quelqu'un le sait, je me ferai un plaisir de lui transmettre l'explication..
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Forum Panhard - Page d accueil -> Mécanique moteur Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: